
What is your understanding of home? What makes a place a home? What is unique about your home, what makes it specifically yours?
To leave a comment, simply click on the "comments" button below this post, read the previous comments, and then add your own. Remember to sign your comment with your first name and your school. Thanks!
Image Source: Google Images. 10/16/09.
I believe there was someone who said that home is the place where you can go to at any time. For me, this is completely true. Home is where you can go whenever you want and still feel welcome. It is a place where you can be yourself. At home a person takes off his reputation and social standing. Home is where you can be yourself no matter what.
ReplyDeleteHome is the place where you can be yourself. It is where you feel safe and relaxed. It is where you do not pretend and you do not act as someone else wants you to. Home can be a place or a person. Home is where you are you !
ReplyDeleteDimitar Drumev ACS
I agree with Nina and Dimitar, because in my opinion Home isn't really an exact place; it could be a corner in a room, a building, a city, a country, a continent, or the world as a whole, but it could also be a place where the important people in yor life are. As long as you feel self-confident and happy somewhere,then it can be considered you're at home. Home is also a place where you can find support, help, or just some time for yourself. The doors of your home should always be opened for you.
ReplyDeleteAndrea Vushkova ACS
Well, I think home is not only the place where you could be yourself. Home is this one place deep inside your heart, which you feel is the place you're suppose to be. For example this is the case of me with Finland. Even that I've neve been there, I just feel that this will be the place where I will be happy until the end of my life, and this is suppose to be my home. Even that the Finnish language is considered one of the most difficult languages, I still study it and actually my desire of being there, makes me learn faster, than the spanish for example. So ,for me, home is the place which you truly and deeply love with your heart even, if you don't know why. You just know you are supposed to be there. :]
ReplyDeleteLately I feel like I have a lot of homes - California, Minnesota, Vermont, England, Bulgaria... I have lived in a lot of places, and I care about people who are scattered around the world. I've decided that I am like a turtle - I carry my home with me, inside. It's not about the place or the food or the decor, it's just about bringing who I am to what I do.
ReplyDeleteBetsy Potash, ACS
There are two kinds of homes - "material" and "spiritual". The "material" home is the place where you feel safe and protected. It is the place where you feel relaxed and you act as yourself, and as Nina said, "you take off your reputation" and take a rest from the game called life. This place can be anywhere you feel happy and safe. It could be your country, your town, your apartment, or even a single room from your apartment like the toilet :D. On the other hand, there is another kind of home which always stays in your heart and it goes wherever you go. This home is only a feeling, but it is still a home - a nice place in your heart, where you feel happy and safe. Home is unique. There is not any other place like it. Of course you can have more than one home, but still all the homes you have will be different from any other place. You feel that your home belongs to you and you belong to you home. This is what I call I true relationship-the one depends on the other! :D
ReplyDeleteIva Dikova, ACS
My understanding of home is actually the definition. Having a shelter above your head where you can go to sleep and wake up to. As the second project of the interchange I wrote that El Salvador (my native country) was my home. As I thought more deeply of what home really meant to me I thought of my mother. My mother is my shelter, the person that I can confide to shelter my every need. She has been with me since the day I was born. My mother has raised me to be a caring person who doesn’t care what someone has to say when they try to hurt me. My mother has thought me to pick up my loaded bag and continue my every day challenges and to walk the streets with pride. This home is so unique and specifically to me because my mother is the only one. There are no other clones of my mother out there: P. At times me and my mother disagree in different perspectives, but at the end of the day she is my mother, and my one and only true best friend. She has guided me along the hard pathways of life and she will continue to do so. My home is my mother; she is the one that keeps my mornings bright and the only one that makes my nights warm. I LOVE YOU MOMMY.
ReplyDelete-RENE CCPCHS
For me, home is determined by the people rather than the place itself because I feel welcome in a certain group of individuals, not in a place. My friends are my home, and we've changed a lot of places we "go back to" instead of "go to", including two parks and some pubs. However, the feeling remains the same... home is where the atmosphere enables you to be whoever you want to be and still be accepted. The whole idea of it is based on mutual trust so that you can take off your masks and be free without worrying about how people would react.
ReplyDeleteRene, I love the way you realise how important your mother is to you while you are still a teenager. We tend to fight with our parents and often forget just how much they mean to us...
Evgenia Markova 10/7
I believe that the "home" for me is Sofia. Many of my friends hate it and are dreaming of leaving abroad. I don't want to live abroad. I want to live here where all my memories are. I feel good here and I don't even want to go to college somewhere else but it looks like I'm going to have to. But I'll come back because Sofia is my home.
ReplyDeleteHome for me is... well, my home! I just love my house it's my own little fortress. And i especially love my room. I think home is where you feel most comfortable and secured, and I feel exactly like this in my burrow. There are like 10 posters hanging on the wall and it's filled with my guitar gadjets and other electronics. My room has a very special atmosphere, it is very calming and cozy. Maybe it due to the fact that i have my Lincoln poster, I got from school last year... who knows?
ReplyDeleteIvaylo Danailov 10/7
Home for me is a place where one can feel safe at. Home is a place that will stay there no matter what. A place you feel happy, safe, and in comfort. What is particularly unique about my home is that I change it constantly. Sure it contradicts my version of "staying there no matter what", but it usually stays there for at least a few years. What makes it specifically mine is no matter where I may consider myself to have a home; I will always find my own little place there to feel secure in.
ReplyDeleteHome is a place of comfort. A place of releif and refresh. My home is both but also my secret palce. It is my place to be me and in my own world. But considering geography my home would be Washington D.C. my place of freedom and rights.Home is What you make it and how you view it in your eyes. You make your home, your place of comfort.
ReplyDelete-Tanisha Tate
Cesar Chvaez..
To me home is anywhere I can go and always be accepted. Home to me is also a place where I know I won't be rejected, and anytime i need it, it's there. Home is where I'm surrounded by the love of my family, so anywhere they are I'm home.
ReplyDelete-Ryanne Moore
Cesar Chavez PCHS
Home is security, comfort, secret, family, as the others said. The place which gives you everything you need, this is home. For me this place is my small apartment where I live with my family because I know that I can always come back here and get everything I need. Eating, sleeping, resting, reading, bathing, everything that I want I can do it here. There is no one who can tell me how I'm supposed to live when I'm in this shelter. I'm untouchable. hah Maybe it is my family that makes this my home, but I know that it's not only that. The other place that I feel like home is Irakli, a camp zone by the sea side, because there is this magic that can make you smile every time. The place where you are closer to nature than to civilization and you are ultimately free. So I guess freedom to do everything I want to is what makes a place home for me.
ReplyDeleteVictoria Toncheva 10/7
I agree with all responses because you can have a spiritual home and a material home. A material home shelters you physically from all types of "dangers" (i.e weather). Also in a material home, you have to do whatever it takes to maintain that home and make sure it's in good condition; whether it's paying bills or cleaning up your house in general. A spiritual home, however, doesn't have to be a certain place or area. It can be with someone you hang out with like you're friends and family. All of this relates to the words "camouflage" and "habitat" because you're blending in with a certain group of people or environment that you have been used to all your life. This is my definition of "home"
ReplyDeleteFor me home has the material meaning of the word. Home is a property. A piece of land that is only yours and nobody else's and nobody can take it away from you. As Ashley said, home is a place to protect you from danger. All the people that have gone to America with the first wave of people going there were in search of home. Somewhere where they can live peacefully, take care of their cattle and say "Get outta my property!" with a gun in the hand,trying to defend their home.
ReplyDeleteSome people live on the street and I really feel pitty for them for not being able to put their jacket and keys on the table when they enter their home and shout out loud "I am home!" to their family. Everybody has to be able to do this. Everybody should have a place to live and a roof over their heads. Everybody should have a home.
Peter Ivanov
American College of Sofia
People often say that I look like every place I go is home for me...it's kind of wierd but it might be partially true.When I'm surrounded by someone I love there is no way I can't feel home. Because home for me is all the people I love and care about. Whene I'm with them or even when I think about them or remember something about them I am home...it's simply because home is when or where you feel truly happy.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was six I went with my mother in the mountain. It was the sunniest day in the world. We started running down a small hill...all alone on the grass. There I thought: "This is the happiest moment of my life". I don't know why I said that.There wasn't anything special about the day or the place. This is one of the most vivid memories of my childhood. Every time I go back to that hill and start running...I feel at home and I feel like this will be my happiest moment.
When I think about home the first thing that comes into my mind is my family. Since I’ve lived abroad I changed my “homes” for four times. However home, for me, is the place where I was born and raised. It is also a place where most of my memories linger. In my opinion home for most of the people is a shelter with the people they love in it. I do count the temporary house where I live now my home but I believe that no matter where I go I will never feel “home sweet home” as I feel in that particular house I was raised.
ReplyDeleteFor me home is not just a house, a town, or even a country. It is a place where I feel safe, somewhere I feel happy and comfortable. There are many things that can make me call a place "my home" but maybe the most important ones are memories. It doesn't matter if they are shared with my family or with my friends as long as they make me think of something special. Each time I go back home I remember something that had happened there, something connected to people I love and care about.
ReplyDeleteSiyana Markova ACS
There is no definition of home that applies to everyone - it is about how you feel it. In my opinion home is not only the house you live in, but the place where you feel comfortable. My home is where I feel safe, happy, etc. but sometimes I feel the same way at other places as well. For example I may be miles away from my actual home but if I am surrounded by those I love then I may feel much better than if I'm sometimes at home alone. There is no single place I call home, I mean obviously home is the place I live in, but to me home is where I feel good - at the seaside, at my village, or just at any place where I am with my family or friends.
ReplyDeleteKarina Atanasova, ACS
For me, home is when I am around my mother and my grand-mother or with my closest friends. I feel home when my family and I just sit around the table, have dinner, talk about how the day has passed. I feel home when I get a hug from a close friend. It does not really matter where I am but as long as I have somebody who I love right next to me, the whole world becomes home. I feel best when I love and when I am loved by the people around me. Home is where I feel best with the ones I will always have by my side.
ReplyDeleteJulia Georgieva ACS
Right now, this is the 5th different place that I live at but what I can draw as a conclusion for myself, is that I get a special home feeling only when I am at the places where I grew up. Of course, people are different and have their own understanding of home, but since I started to go back at there places rarely, I started feeling extraordinarily there.
ReplyDeleteIvoslav Ganchev, ACS
'Home' is a word that I think doesn't have a specific definition - and every single person has his own understanding of 'home'. For me, it is where we live here in Sofia with my family...and it is not just the place, but the people who I live with. They all, especially gathered together, makes a single place that itself doesn't mean nothing - a home.
ReplyDeleteAni 10-3
I like what Julia and some other people said about the home as not being a specific place. It almost never is. What I mean is that what makes a certain place feel like "home" are the people and the memories that are connected to it. For me, home exists when I am with my friends and family and also when a place gives me a nice feeling of comfort and joy. I believe everyone knows what I am talking about - we all have those places that we like to call "home". Silvia Djambazka, ACS
ReplyDeleteHome is where your friends are, where your best memories have been captured, and where you can feel free and happy to be yourself. For many this place is the house in which they have grown up. However, for others this could be a place where their family used to go for the vacations or just the house of their grandparents.
ReplyDeleteLewbina ACS
My favourite animated character, Pumba, sais that "Home is where your rump rests." I agree with that statement, because home can be everywhere you go and feel comfortable enough to stay. If your "rump" likes it there, than it is worthy of being called home.
ReplyDeleteMy definition of home is close to the dictionary version, but mine is more complex. Not only is it a structure where people live, but maybe even a place where you feel the safest and feel the most comfort. My room is my home because I organized it to fit my comfort, my wants, and needs. I don't have to alter myself to fit anybody else's standards, in my room I am free. When I enter my room it's almost as if a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders; nothing else matters, but me.
ReplyDeleteJasmyn Jones
Cesar Chavez PCHS.